Ga. cop ambushed, killed with high powered weapon
First Atlanta-area officer to be killed since 2008
Duty Death: Lt. Mike Vogt - [Chattahoochee Hills, Georgia]
Editor’s Note:Editor's Note: PoliceOne has learned that a Chattahoochee Hills police spokesperson said late Tuesday morning that although "there were no new developments in the case" Police Chief Damon Jones would issue a statement "soon."
By Dan Raley
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
CHATTAHOOCHEE HILLS, Ga. — People come to Chattahoochee Hills to escape the urban encroachment and anger.
Yet on Monday, even this idyllic countryside setting southwest of Atlanta couldn't provide a safe haven for one of its own peace-keepers. After traveling down a dirt road shortly after noon, police Lt. Mike Vogt was ambushed and fatally shot by someone using a high-powered weapon, turning tranquility into a den of police activity.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help