Police concerned that attacks on officers may spawn copycat plots
Officer deaths this year have jumped by 112 percent since March 2009
By John Asbury
HEMET, Calif. — Two recent assassination attempts on Hemet gang task-force officers add to a national trend of more brazen and sophisticated attacks on police, often by gang members, law enforcement experts say.
The attacks on the Hemet-San Jacinto Gang Task Force headquarters come amid an increase of violence against police nationwide this year that could reverse a trend of declining officer deaths.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house