Armed man fatally shot at Tenn. high school
The man went inside the office and pointed a gun at the principal's head
BLOUNTVILLE, Tenn. — Authorities say an armed man was fatally shot by deputies at an East Tennessee high school after he went inside and pointed a gun at the principal's head, Sullivan County Sheriff Wayne Anderson said at a Monday afternoon news conference there's "no doubt" that 62-year-old Thomas Richard Cowan of Kingsport intended to kill somebody at Sullivan Central High School.
Anderson said Cowan's motive has not been determined.
No students or teachers were hurt and school was dismissed at 10:30 a.m. EDT Monday.
Anderson said Cowan entered the school with a .380-caliber semiautomatic and a .25-caliber handgun in his back pocket.
Blountville is near the Virginia line, about 250 miles east of Nashville.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: Mich. cop shatters car window after driver refuses to give ID
- Okla. chief defends cop after TASER threat sparks controversy, video released
- Man blows up hand while attempting to kill 2 Ky. deputies
- Man who claimed girlfriend choked during oral sex acquitted in murder case
- Police: 'Severely battered' off-duty Del. trooper fatally shoots boyfriend