Police: Gunman wounds 3 at Ala. hospital
An officer and employees suffered injuries that are not considered life-threatening
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. — Authorities in Alabama say a man opened fire in a hospital, wounding an officer and two employees before he was fatally shot by police.
Birmingham Police Sgt. Johnny Williams says the officer and employees suffered injuries that are not considered life-threatening.
Williams says police were called because a man with a gun was walking through St. Vincent's Hospital on Saturday morning. When he was confronted by officers, he started shooting and wounded one of the officers. That's when the second officer shot and killed the man.
Detectives are still working to determine why the armed man was in the hospital.
Copyright 2012 Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'