5 shot near Ga. school, suspect arrested
The five people shot were transported to the hospital in stable condition Tuesday
ATLANTA — Police say a 17-year-old boy has been charged with aggravated assault in a shooting that wounded five near an Atlanta high school.
A judge denied bail for Marcellus Brooks during a court appearance on Wednesday. Brooks is being charged as an adult on five counts and will remain in custody.
Brooks' defense attorney, Roberta Longmire, said Brooks didn't have a gun and none was found in his vicinity. Atlanta Police and Fulton County prosecutors didn't immediately respond to a request for comment.
Longmire covered Brooks' face with papers during his court appearance at the Fulton County Jail. She said he was in 10th grade but did not say at what school.
Police say four of the victims of the shooting near Therrell High School on Tuesday afternoon were students.
A motive hadn't been established.
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Texas cops don cowboy hats with uniforms