Pa. man aimed laser at police helicopter
PHILADELPHIA — A Pennsylvania man is charged with injuring a police helicopter pilot when he aimed a high-powered laser at the cockpit during flight.
The FBI says 51-year-old James Gautieri of Williamsport temporarily blinded Lt. Anthony Ginaldi as he tried to land the helicopter in northeast Philadelphia in April. Ginaldi had to turn over controls to a co-pilot.
Police say they kept their search light on the suspect's location until police arrived to arrest him. Federal prosecutors are not discussing a possible motive.
Gautieri is charged with interfering with the operation of an aircraft and reckless endangerment.
A defense lawyer did not immediately return a call for comment.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman
- Video: Mo. governor completes SWAT challenge in honor of slain deputy