N.Y. sheriff's helicopter rescues campers after flood
By Michael Beebe and Brian Meyer
BUFFALO, N.Y. — A peaceful night of camping in the Zoar Valley turned into a nightmare Sunday when violent thunderstorms and a deluge of rain flooded a small campground and had seven people fighting for their lives.
Six hours of clinging to cars and campers ended shortly before dawn when Capt. Kevin Caffery guided the Erie County Sheriff's Office helicopter into the narrow gorge and slowly lifted each to safety.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help