N.Y. sheriff's helicopter rescues campers after flood
By Michael Beebe and Brian Meyer
BUFFALO, N.Y. — A peaceful night of camping in the Zoar Valley turned into a nightmare Sunday when violent thunderstorms and a deluge of rain flooded a small campground and had seven people fighting for their lives.
Six hours of clinging to cars and campers ended shortly before dawn when Capt. Kevin Caffery guided the Erie County Sheriff's Office helicopter into the narrow gorge and slowly lifted each to safety.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman