Report: LAPD helicopter struck by gunfire
Forced to make emergency landing after fuel tank struck
By PoliceOne Staff
LOS ANGELES - A man opened fire on a LAPD helicopter early Sunday morning, hitting it and forcing an emergency landing.
According to the Los Angeles Times, the first round of shots hit the fuel tank, causing fuel to leak and the helicopter to land at Van Nuys Airport. The two officers on board were not injured.
The helicopter was responding to reports of a man with a automatic assault rifle. As it reached the scene, the suspect apparently turned his rifle on the helicopter.
Several sources report an arrest has been made, and the suspect is a Hispanic man around 20 years old. According to KTLA 5, police said the man may have been distraught over the death of a friend.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help