Video: Brazil police stop plane using their car
The airplane contained a load of contraband electronics
SAO PAULO — A pair of Brazilian police officers has waylaid smugglers by speeding their patrol car down a clandestine runway and smashing into an airplane so it couldn't take off with a load of contraband electronics.
A video posted Thursday by the G1 news website shows the police car chasing the plane.
The passenger-side officer leans out the window with a high-caliber rifle, preparing to fire. But the officer driving shouts: "Don't shoot! I am going to hit the wing!"
Seconds later the car smashes into the single-engine aircraft.
The officers then hop out and surround it.
Federal police spokesman Edson Geraldo de Souza tells G1 news that the pilot and four accomplices on the ground were arrested in the incident Tuesday. Nobody was hurt.
Copyright 2011 Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Texas cops don cowboy hats with uniforms