Highway Patrol helicopter rescues hiker from mountain lion
The hiker called 911 for help, as the lion was just 25 feet away from him and approaching
By Gus Thomson
The Auburn Journal
COLFAX, Calif. — A California Highway Patrol helicopter played a key role from the air in protecting a hiker being stalked by a mountain lion on a trail near Colfax.
A state Fish and Wildlife spokesman confirmed Tuesday that the cougar was shot and killed Sunday by a warden after the cat made an aggressive approach toward him on the same trail.
The Highway Patrol chopper was called in by the Placer County Sheriff's Office after the hiker's 911 call was received late Saturday from the Stevens Trail, a rugged pathway into the North Fork American River canyon east of Colfax.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- ND bill protects drivers who negligently hit protesters obstructing traffic
- Trump hosts LE at White House, pledges support for police
- Slain Fla. officer's patrol car vandalized
- Video: Calif. police fatally shoot man, face wrongful death lawsuit
- Minn. lawmakers chart new course in response to OIS protests