Video: Tampa police rescue pilot from flaming plane
Police pulled the unconscious pilot from the wreckage after watching his plane crash in flames
By PoliceOne Staff
TAMPA, Fla. — An infrared camera from a Tampa police helicopter shows the moment another pilot crash landed and his plane lit up in flames, prompting two officers to run to his rescue.
Tampa police pilot Dave Dennison and his partner heard the pilot’s distress call and hovered over Tampa International Airport, according to Tampa Bay Times.
"I’m running a little bit rough here. I should be able to make it, though,” the pilot — who has not been identified — told air traffic controllers after he reported a low oil indicator.
Dennison and his partner Brian Gentry both gasped minutes later as they watched the aircraft crash in flames, and requested to land.
Gentry doused the aircraft’s engine with a fire extinguisher and dragged the unconscious pilot from the wreckage, according to the report.
The injured pilot remains in the hospital but is expected to survive.
- Police Heroes
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house