Ariz. police helicopter crashes, pilots OK
In the 15 seconds between complete engine failure and hitting the ground, officers were able to locate a field and make a hard landing
By PoliceOne Staff
GILBERT, Ariz. — A police helicopter crashed after an engine failure Sunday.
According to 3TV, the MD500 Mesa Police Department helicopter crashed while on patrol in a field in Gilbert.
The two pilot officers who were on the aircraft were uninjured.
The crash resulted in the tail section of the helicopter being severed.
In the 15 seconds between complete engine failure and hitting the ground, officers were able to locate an alfalfa field and take the helicopter down with a hard landing.
No civilians were injured in the incident. The FAA and NTSB will be investigating the crash.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Police: Some Chicago gangs turning to rifles for added firepower
- Video: Alaska police fatally shoot armed man holding hostages
- Video: Ind. trooper informs drivers about 'pretty incredible' turn signal
- Retired CHP sergeant dies while protecting friend from robber
- Multiple rounds fired at Dallas patrol station