Dodge's new cop car equipped with anti-ambush tech
Once the system is activated, any movement will trigger an alarm sound inside the car, the windows will roll up, the doors will lock and the tail lights will flash
By PoliceOne Staff
According to CNET, the sedans will now include what the company is calling the “Officer Protection Package.” The feature uses the car’s backup camera and sensors to alert officers if there is movement behind their patrol car.
The system is enabled via a module that plugs into the car’s OBDII diagnostics port. Once the system is activated, any movement will trigger an alarm sound inside the car, the windows will roll up, the doors will lock and the tail lights will flash.
Ambush attacks on cops rose dramatically last year. According to the NLEOMF, 21 cops were killed in ambushes – the highest number of deaths in over 20 years.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Okla. chief defends cop after TASER threat sparks controversy, video released
- 2 words that should never appear in your police report
- Police: 'Severely battered' off-duty Del. trooper fatally shoots boyfriend
- UK police: 19 dead, roughly 50 injured after explosion at Ariana Grande concert
- NYPD: Train worker refused to open gate for cop pursuing shoplifter