Dodge's new cop car equipped with anti-ambush tech
Once the system is activated, any movement will trigger an alarm sound inside the car, the windows will roll up, the doors will lock and the tail lights will flash
By PoliceOne Staff
According to CNET, the sedans will now include what the company is calling the “Officer Protection Package.” The feature uses the car’s backup camera and sensors to alert officers if there is movement behind their patrol car.
The system is enabled via a module that plugs into the car’s OBDII diagnostics port. Once the system is activated, any movement will trigger an alarm sound inside the car, the windows will roll up, the doors will lock and the tail lights will flash.
Ambush attacks on cops rose dramatically last year. According to the NLEOMF, 21 cops were killed in ambushes – the highest number of deaths in over 20 years.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Wash. sheriff told to disarm before entering arena for charity event
- More than 200 police chiefs criticize Trump’s 'law and order' executive actions
- Video: Nashville cop fatally shoots armed man, NAACP wants probe
- Video: NY trooper arrests suspect after being dragged by vehicle
- Booby trap impales officer investigating marijuana grow operation