Video: Machete-wielding vandal shot, killed at LA police station
Some are questioning the officer's actions that shot the man, but police are saying he may not have had time to make a choice
By Philip Caufield
New York Daily News
LOS ANGELES — A machete-wielding man was shot outside a California police station after cops confronted him smashing out police cruiser windows with the weapon.
Inglewood police don't know what drove the man to smash the windows of eight patrol cars in the lot at the police station on Saturday and then threaten an officer with the 18-inch blade. In the video, the man can be seen walking toward a cop taking cover behind the door of a squad car. Shots ring out, and the man crumples to the ground. The man was taken to a hospital and died during surgery, police told the Los Angeles Times.
The Daily Breeze newspaper in Torrance identified the man as Charles Curl, 46, of Los Angeles. Law enforcement expert Richard Lichten told the station the video didn't tell the whole story. Lichten suggested the cop who pulled the trigger may not have had time to tell Curl to drop the weapon.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- ND bill protects drivers who negligently hit protesters obstructing traffic
- Slain Fla. officer's patrol car vandalized
- Video: Calif. police fatally shoot man, face wrongful death lawsuit
- Minn. lawmakers chart new course in response to OIS protests
- Trump hosts LE at White House, pledges support for police