Police: Fla. gunman called 911 before killing 6
In the bizarre, 12-minute call, Pedro Vargas asked a dispatcher to run a license plate number and claimed he was being followed
By Christine Armario
MIAMI — The man who shot and killed six people at his South Florida apartment complex before being gunned down by police called 911 hours before the shooting to say he was being followed.
In the bizarre, 12-minute call, Pedro Vargas asked a dispatcher to run the license plate of a vehicle outside his building. He also said he was the victim of someone doing witchcraft against him.
A recording of the call was released Wednesday by the Hialeah Police Department.
At one point, the dispatcher asked to speak with Vargas' mother. The elderly woman got on the phone and told the dispatcher her son was acting disturbed and that she wanted to get him an appointment with a psychiatrist.
She declined a dispatcher's offer to send police to the apartment.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman