Why is this cat-loving Md. cop an Internet sensation?
Officer Jon Boyer spends much of his free time rescuing the city's abandoned animals and bringing them to the shelter
By PoliceOne Staff
BALTIMORE — A Baltimore police officer is getting attention for a lot more than his day-to-day police duties. In fact, it’s what he’s doing in his off-time that has the Internet abuzz.
Jon Boyer, 26, is a three-year veteran of the Baltimore police and an active rescuer of abandoned animals in Baltimore.
"I work in a rough neighborhood where they have no problem killing a human. Why would they have [a] problem killing an animal?" Boyer said, according to Fox Baltimore.
His fame began when a community animal shelter’s Facebook page shared a picture of Boyer cuddling a cat he rescued and later adopted.
An animal rights campaign “Show your soft side” then began using Boyer in their ads, too.
He has reportedly adopted six cats and brought countless other abandoned animals to the shelter for adoption.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house