BART settles lawsuit in Oscar Grant shooting
Officials say five friends who were with Oscar Grant when he was fatally shot have settled a federal lawsuit against the agency
OAKLAND, Calif. — Officials say five friends who were with Oscar Grant when he was fatally shot by a San Francisco Bay Area Rapid Transit police officer have settled a federal lawsuit against the agency.
BART said Jack Bryson Jr., Nigel Bryson, Michael Greer, Carlos Reyes and Fernando Anicete Jr. will split $175,000 as part of the settlement approved by the BART board on May 8.
The men filed a federal civil rights lawsuit in 2009 claiming excessive force. Their attorney, John Burris, said Tuesday the men are relieved the case is over.
The men had been detained on an Oakland train station platform with Grant when he was shot and killed by then-BART police officer Johannes Mehserles, who was later convicted of involuntary manslaughter in the New Year's Day 2009 shooting.
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Facing massive officer shortage, Ariz. agencies looking to hire hundreds