N.C. police find gator, caiman at hotel
The Associated Press
The man who had the animals in his room was arrested on charges unrelated to the animals, U.S. Marshals Service officials said.
The alligator and caiman were taken to the Guilford County Animal Shelter.
''We've had exotic animals before, but nothing like this,'' shelter director Marsha Williams said, adding that the reptiles were in good condition.
It's illegal to possess alligators in North Carolina, but caimans can be found in pet stores, said Sandy Ellington of the Guilford County Public Health Department.
Ellington said the N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission will take both reptiles and decide whether to pursue charges against the man who had them in his room.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: Alaska police fatally shoot armed man holding hostages
- PD removes 'Blue Lives Matter,' Punisher car decals after criticism
- Police: Some Chicago gangs turning to rifles for added firepower
- Report: Hiring standards may be lowered to meet Border Patrol staffing goal
- Retired CHP sergeant dies while protecting friend from robber