Utah man wanted to get arrested, grabbed cop's gun
The suspect said, "Maybe I'll try suicide by cop"
SALT LAKE CITY — A man rebuffed in an attempt to get arrested, finally got his wish when he went for an officer's handgun. Unified police documents said the 54-year-old transient tried to turn himself in at the jail last weekend but an officer told him he had no reason to arrest him. At that point, police said the man grabbed for the officer's gun saying, "Maybe I'll try suicide by cop."
Police said he failed in getting the gun and he also changed his mind about wanting to go to jail because he began to resist.
The man, who was described as belligerent and appeared to be intoxicated, was subdued and jailed.
And he might have gotten more than he bargained for. Police said he was hit with several charges including a serious felony of disarming a peace officer.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman