Pa. man lights joint to celebrate child's birth
Smoked marijuana instead of a cigar in a Pennsylvania hospital
UNIONTOWN, Pa. — Police say a new father faces drug charges because he lit up a marijuana joint, instead of a cigar, to celebrate his child's birth at a western Pennsylvania hospital.
Police aren't identifying the man found smoking the pot in a designated smoking area of Uniontown Hospital Tuesday morning, but say he'll face marijuana possession charges.
Uniontown police Sgt. Jonathan Grabiak tells the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review that a nurse smelled the marijuana when she took a cigarette break in the same area, and a hospital security guard called police about 3:20 a.m.
Grabiak says the man told him, "I'm having a baby and wanted to get a buzz" and then pulled a bag of marijuana from his shoe.
The man was released to a family member and made to leave the hospital.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman
- Video: Mo. governor completes SWAT challenge in honor of slain deputy