UK cop 'torched own car' and blamed love rival
The police chief tried to frame his lover's lawyer husband for the crime
OXFORD, UK — A police chief torched his car during a visit to his mistress before trying to frame her lawyer husband for the crime, a court heard.
Chief Superintendent James Trotman, 45, had used the Citroen Xsara Picasso C4 to go and see lover Karin Gray - the wife of top solicitor Ian.
He told colleagues that Mr Gray, a partner in City law firm Eversheds, had a grievance against him and may have sent threatening e-mails.
Chief Supt Trotman - separated from his wife Charlotte - had been having an affair with Mrs Gray for 10 months, Swindon Crown Court heard. The officer denies one count of arson, two counts of fraud and one of perverting the course of justice.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- 84-year-old cop retires after 61 years on force
- Wash. officer shot multiple times during domestic call dies
- Retired RI cop helps Fla. trooper under attack
- Police: Marksman fatally shot Wash. cop killer who was using child as shield
- Photo: Son of slain Mo. cop receives teddy bears made from dad’s uniform