Ky. Amish men jailed for refusing safety triangles
The men belong to an especially strict sect known as the Old Order Swartzentruber
By Peter Smith
The Louisville Courier-Journal
Gannett News Service
MAYFIELD, Ky. — Nine Amish men were sentenced to up to 10 days in jail Monday for declining to pay fines for refusing to display a bright orange-red safety triangle on the back of their horse-drawn buggies.
Graves District Court Judge Deborah Hawkins Crooks imposed the sentences after the Kentucky Court of Appeals in June denied the defendants' appeal of their misdemeanor convictions.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Milwaukee Sheriff Clarke takes job with Homeland Security
- Video: Deputy shoots armed man who charged at him during traffic stop
- Judge haunted by release of man in deadly Ohio shootings
- Grand jury doesn't indict Ohio officer for fatally shooting teen
- Off-duty cop helps detain man who tried to break cockpit door mid-flight