Police: NY crew took tricks from heist film 'The Town'
The crew splashed bleach on ATMs and cash drawers to try to destroy DNA evidence
The Associated Press
NEW YORK — Police say a prolific burglary crew in New York City has taken cues from the bank heist drama "The Town," splashing bleach on ATMs and cash drawers to try to destroy DNA evidence.
A New York Police Department spokesman said Tuesday several burglary suspects told detectives they'd watched the bad guys in the Ben Affleck-directed film do the same thing. The suspects were arrested over the weekend.
The 2010 movie stars Affleck as leader of a crew responsible for a string of Boston bank and armored-truck holdups. Jon Hamm portrays an FBI agent pursuing them.
The real bandits are suspected in 62 burglaries at delis, discount stores and pizzerias in Brooklyn and Queens. Police say they made off with $217,000.
Four suspects are awaiting arraignment. A fifth is already behind bars on an unrelated weapons charge.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Texas cops don cowboy hats with uniforms