Cops: DUI suspect had dead deer in trunk
A man apparently tried to drive a hurt animal to the hospital
GREECE, N.Y. — Police say a drunken New York man struck a deer with his vehicle, then tried driving the injured animal to a nearby hospital — for humans.
Police say 29-year-old Andrew Caswell hit the deer early Monday in the suburban Rochester town of Greece. They say Caswell and three companions argued over what to do with it before Caswell decided the deer needed to go to the hospital.
An officer who pulled the car over discovered the deer was in the vehicle's trunk and had died.
Police say Caswell's blood-alcohol level was .16, twice the legal limit. Caswell's phone number couldn't be located Thursday.
Police Chief Todd Baxter tells the Democrat and Chronicle that while trying to save the deer was commendable, "driving while intoxicated will not be tolerated."
Copyright 2011 Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman
- Video: Mo. governor completes SWAT challenge in honor of slain deputy