Man claims car accelerator 'stuck' at 125 mph
Police pursued the man who allegedly couldn't help speeding all the way to Belgium
By John Lichfield
i-Independent Print Ltd
NORTH FRANCE — A terrified French driver has told how a jammed speed regulator caused him to career through motor toll stations and a national border at 125mph before he crashed into a ditch in neighbouring Belgium.
Frank Lecerf, 36, managed to alert emergency services on his mobile phone as his Renault Laguna sped for 100 miles along the A16 motorway in northern France. Police sent an escort to clear other vehicles out of the way and ordered barriers at three toll stations to be lifted.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: Man claims car accelerator 'stuck' at 125 mph
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC officers cannot record inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Pa. troopers union criticizes plan to scrap lie-detector tests for recruits
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help