Masked man shoots at Fla. cop after getting ticket
The man intentionally had several encounters with the officer, the officer was not injured
By Amaka Ubaka
BALDWIN PARK, Fla. — Orlando police say a masked driver, who was apparently angered over being ticketed in Baldwin Park, rode a motorized scooter to confront and shoot at the officer.
Police said Sgt. Kevin Roberson was working a traffic enforcement detail Wednesday afternoon on Fox Street when he conducted a stop, issuing the driver, 63-year-old William Jasper Cates, a ticket for running a stop sign. The officer says Cates then returned a third time on the scooter and intentionally ran a stop sign in front of Roberson, according to police.
When Roberson attempted to stop Cates, who was wearing a ski mask, Cates then crashed, according to police. They said Roberson went over to check on Cates and Cates started to fight Roberson. During the struggle, Cates pulled out a gun and shot at Roberson twice, police said. Roberson didn't return fire and eventually restrained Cates with the help of other officers.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Trooper under investigation for calling ICE to report illegal immigrant
- Mass. police end 'High Five Friday' at schools after complaints
- Police say newly freed gang member killed Calif. officer
- Bystander helps officer under attack by jumping on suspect's back
- Ala. church asks for its own police department