Thief uses excavator to steal ATM
Police are looking for a thief who used a black Crown Victoria to somehow take the ATM
WINSTON-SALEM — A thief stole construction equipment and then used it to pick up an ATM and place it into an awaiting vehicle, police said Monday.
Officers responded to an ATM alarm call at 12:55 a.m. at the Allegacy Federal Credit Union at 680 Vine St. They discovered someone had stolen an excavator, which is equipped with a bucket, from a construction lot and drove it about 200 yards to an ATM.
He used the claw of the machine to knock over the ATM. He scooped up the ATM, which weighs more than a ton, and put it in a vehicle. A surveillance video showed a black Crown Victoria with tinted windows was involved in the theft, police said.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: Thief uses excavator to steal ATM
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Milwaukee Sheriff Clarke takes job with Homeland Security
- Video: Deputy shoots armed man who charged at him during traffic stop
- Judge haunted by release of man in deadly Ohio shootings
- Off-duty cop helps detain man who tried to break cockpit door mid-flight
- Grand jury doesn't indict Ohio officer for fatally shooting teen