Police recover engagement ring swallowed by thief
Authorities charged 52-year-old Ronald Perley with theft and falsifying physical evidence after they say X-rays showed the ring inside him
MANCHESTER, New Hampshire — Police say they've got the $3,200 engagement ring a U.S. man allegedly swallowed during an attempted jewelry store theft.
Authorities charged 52-year-old Ronald Perley with theft and falsifying physical evidence after they say X-rays showed the 14-karat white-gold ring with princess-cut diamonds inside him.
WMUR-TV reports that police in New Hampshire had recovered the ring as of Saturday.
Perley allegedly went into a shop on Thursday asking about engagement rings. Workers said he grabbed a ring, then swallowed it after being confronted.
Police say surveillance footage shows Perley taking the ring and putting his hand to his mouth.
Perley was being held on $50,000 bail. It's not clear if he has an attorney.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Facing massive officer shortage, Ariz. agencies looking to hire hundreds