Calif. woman slaps cop to kick her tobacco habit
The woman was immediately arrested, but that was exactly her plan
SACRAMENTO — A woman’s plan to stop smoking involved allegedly slapping a Sacramento County deputy. Deputy Matt Campoy says it came out of nowhere as he left his shift at the Sacramento County Jail. A woman purposely blocking his way.
“All of a sudden, she stepped into me and slapped me in the face,” he said. “She told us that she needed to quit smoking,” Campoy said.
That woman, 31-year-old Etta Lopez, was immediately arrested. Lopez allegedly admitted she sat in front of the county jail for hours, intent on assaulting an officer to get arrested and be put in jail, where she would be forced to stop smoking cigarettes.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: Deputy shoots armed man who charged at him during traffic stop
- Va. sheriff’s office forced to remove 'blessed are the peacemakers' decals
- Judge haunted by release of man in deadly Ohio shootings
- Off-duty cop helps detain man who tried to break cockpit door mid-flight
- UK police: 19 dead, roughly 50 injured after explosion at Ariana Grande concert