Calif. woman slaps cop to kick her tobacco habit
The woman was immediately arrested, but that was exactly her plan
SACRAMENTO — A woman’s plan to stop smoking involved allegedly slapping a Sacramento County deputy. Deputy Matt Campoy says it came out of nowhere as he left his shift at the Sacramento County Jail. A woman purposely blocking his way.
“All of a sudden, she stepped into me and slapped me in the face,” he said. “She told us that she needed to quit smoking,” Campoy said.
That woman, 31-year-old Etta Lopez, was immediately arrested. Lopez allegedly admitted she sat in front of the county jail for hours, intent on assaulting an officer to get arrested and be put in jail, where she would be forced to stop smoking cigarettes.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- AG Lynch: US must hold police accountable
- DC officers cannot record inauguration demonstrators
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Pa. troopers union criticizes plan to scrap lie-detector tests for recruits
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help