Road raging man accidentally shoots self in groin
Kids playing in the street were just a few feet away from where the man was shot
By PoliceOne Staff
NORFOLK, Va. — A speeding driver accidentally shot himself in the groin Tuesday night after brandishing a gun at neighbors who wanted him to slow down.
WTKR reported that the man was told to slow down by neighbors in order to practice caution for children playing in the streets.
"My friends were standing right there in the yard and the guy came flying by and they were like ‘slow down, there’s kids’ and the guy did a U-turn and pulled over," said Ashley Summerson, who was standing outside down the street when the gun went off.
He got out of his car, began waving the gun and neighbors said it suddenly went off, according to the report.
"He was holding his groin and there was blood everywhere," said neighbor Zach Watson.
Residents said the kids playing in the street were just a few feet away from where the man was shot and were glad none of the kids got hurt, according to the report.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court