Nerf gunfight brings police to Ohio school
The response stunned staff at the school, which resumed classes after a 15-minute lockdown
ELYRIA, Ohio — Police say confusion over a phone message about a toy gun fight prompted a false report of a shooting at a Cleveland-area school on the first day of class.
Emergency responders in Elyria rushed to Open Door Christian School and Church and put it on lockdown Wednesday after getting a report of a shooting. Officers were relieved to discover the altercation actually was a Nerf gunfight in the church area.
The response stunned staff at the school, which resumed classes after a 15-minute lockdown.
Police determined a church secretary's daughter had called authorities after misinterpreting a phone message her mother left about the toy gunfight.
Police Capt. Chris Costantino says the daughter was concerned and did the right thing.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman