Fla. man steals squad right from department lot
Once caught, the suspect immediately rolled down the window and stated, ‘I just wanted to drive around for a little bit'
By Christina Veiga
MIAMI — A man stole a North Miami Beach police patrol car right out of the department’s parking lot because he "just wanted to drive around for a little bit," authorities say.
Stalyn Enrique Hernandez, 28, has been arrested and is now in a Miami-Dade jail on grand-theft charge. The marked police car was not damaged.
According to a police report released Monday, the marked car “may have been unlocked” — with the key inside — behind the station, 16901 NE 19th Ave. At about 5 p.m. on Sunday, Hernandez climbed in, found the key and drove off, police say.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman