Police: Woman attacks ex's sleeping son with dumbbell
Helen Marie Newsome hid in the home until the father left, then attacked the 8-year-old with a dumbbell
LANDOVER, Md. — Police in Maryland say a woman broke into her ex-boyfriend's home and tried to bludgeon his sleeping 8-year-old son to death.
Prince George's County police said Tuesday that 26-year-old Helen Marie Newsome broke into the home in Landover over the weekend. After hiding for more than 12 hours until the boy's father went to work Saturday morning, police say Newsome covered the boy's head with a pillow and beat him with a dumbbell weight. But the boy fought back and managed to escape to a neighbor's home.
Newsome jumped out a window, but police say she was arrested nearby.
The boy's father had recently broken up with Newsome. She is charged with first-degree attempted murder.
Online court records do not list an attorney for Newsome.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman