Fencing coach in gear foils robbery attempt
He realized he had to react to the robbery and charged at the suspects with his épée
By Carley Gordon
NASHVILLE, Tenn. — A fencing instructor foiled a robbery this week, and he was even dressed to do battle as he chased down the suspected thieves.
Franco Scaramuzza said he always tries to be aware of his surroundings, so when the crime unfolded right in front of him Tuesday in Bellevue, he knew he had one choice.
"The first thing that went through my head is somebody should do something, and that's when I got really upset and disappointed with myself, because I realized I had the opportunity to do something. And I didn't want to be a hypocrite who just tweeted about it," Scaramuzza said.
Scaramuzza then jumped out of his car, grabbed his fencing sword, called an épée, and started charging toward the suspects.
- Police Heroes
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Okla. chief defends cop after TASER threat sparks controversy, video released
- 2 words that should never appear in your police report
- Police: 'Severely battered' off-duty Del. trooper fatally shoots boyfriend
- UK police: 19 dead, roughly 50 injured after explosion at Ariana Grande concert
- NYPD: Train worker refused to open gate for cop pursuing shoplifter