Photo: 'Chicken' crossing road helps police catch 31 offenders
Despite the bright yellow costume, most of the traffic violators police pulled over claimed they never saw the chicken
By Toni McAllister
Lake Elsinore-Wildomar Patch
LAKE ELSINORE, Calif. — A member of the Lake Elsinore Police Department dressed up as a chicken Thursday as part of a law enforcement crackdown aimed at drivers who don't yield to pedestrians in crosswalks.
The department conducted the crosswalk enforcement operation at five different locations in the city; two spots were located in close proximity to Lake Elsinore schools.
In total, officers ended up citing 31 drivers for failing to give way to a pedestrian in a crosswalk as well as one citation for speeding, the sergeant reported.
"Even though the decoy was wearing a bright yellow costume, most drivers stated they did not see him crossing the road," according to the report from Giannakakos.
(Photo courtesy Lake Elsinore Police Dept.)
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court