Man plotting murder accidentally dials victim, relays plan
The suspect unknowingly dialed the intended victim and spoke for over an hour about the murder plot
By Patricia Davis
JONESBORO, Ark. — A Jonesboro man has been charged with conspiracy to commit murder after police say the intended victim overheard the suspect planning the crime.
Jonesboro police arrested Larry Barnett, 68, on Thursday after being contacted by a Paragould man. The man told Detective Jason Simpkins he received a phone call at 12:30 p.m. from Barnett. He said it appeared Barnett had “unknowingly made” the phone call.
The intended victim said he overheard Barnett give another man directions to his home in Paragould. During the call, which lasted approximately 1.5 hours and was ongoing when he contacted police, the victim said he overheard Barnett say, “I don’t care if you have to burn his house to the ground with him in it. I don’t care what you have to do, make it look like an accident.”
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman