Video: Man charged with fraud after staging banana peel fall
A surveillance camera mounted inside the elevator proved the slip was a scam
WASHINGTON, D.C. — A man is facing fraud charges after police say he staged a fall on a banana peel he placed on the ground of a D.C. Metro station.
Investigators say Maurice Owens filed a $15,000 lawsuit against WMATA, claiming he injured his left leg and hip after slipping on a banana peel left inside an elevator at the Potomac Avenue Metro station back in August.
But a surveillance camera mounted inside the elevator told a different story.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court