Photo: X-ray reveals Fla. burglar swallowed necklaces
Joseph Ramos was being booked into jail and stepped onto the X-ray machine; a dark mass in his stomach revealed the jewelry
LARGO, Fla.— A man faces burglary and tampering charges after an X-ray machine revealed a dark mass near his stomach while he was being booked into jail.
Pinellas County Sheriff's officials say the mass turned out to be two necklaces stolen during a Dec. 10 burglary in Safety Harbor.
Twenty-one-year-old Joseph Ramos was arrested Dec. 11 when he was stopped for driving a vehicle that was stolen during the burglary. Various items from the home were inside the vehicle.
When Ramos was being booked into jail, he stepped on the SecurPass X-ray machine and the dark spot was identified as the necklaces. He underwent surgery to remove them. The owner later identified the items.
Jail officials have been using the X-ray machine since June to detect items concealed on inmates.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house