W. Pa. man charged with stealing cuffs in escape
Troopers say 29-year-old Douglas Lydic was handcuffed but not yet charged while they searched a scene in his hometown for drugs Sunday night.
COMMODORE, Pa. — A western Pennsylvania man is jailed on charges he stole a pair of handcuffs he was wearing when he allegedly escaped from a state police cruiser.
Troopers say 29-year-old Douglas Lydic, of Commodore, was handcuffed but not yet charged while they searched a scene in his hometown for drugs Sunday night.
Police have yet to charge him in that case but say he climbed out a cruiser window while cuffed and wound up at his girlfriend's home miles away.
Court records don't list an attorney for Lydic, who also faces a charge of escape at a preliminary hearing scheduled for Jan. 2.
He's been in the Indiana County Jail since he was re-arrested Monday morning at his girlfriend's home. She's being held on charges of hindering his apprehension by police.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: Mich. cop shatters car window after driver refuses to give ID
- Okla. chief defends cop after TASER threat sparks controversy, video released
- Man blows up hand while attempting to kill 2 Ky. deputies
- Man who claimed girlfriend choked during oral sex acquitted in murder case
- Police: 'Severely battered' off-duty Del. trooper fatally shoots boyfriend