Ore. cop coerces naked, suicidal man to safety with sandwich
As an officer began speaking with the man, the troubled individual revealed he was hungry, so the officer used a sandwich to talk him off the ledge
By Becky Bratu
PORTLAND — A crisis-intervention officer — armed with a sandwich — persuaded a naked, disturbed man to come down off the ledge of a parking structure he was threatening to jump off in Portland, Ore., Saturday.
Police said in a news release they responded to a call involving "a naked subject, possibly armed with a knife, acting as if he intended to jump off a parking structure" around 11:10 a.m. local time (2:30 p.m. ET).
The man "appeared to be experiencing a behavioral health crisis" — sitting on the ledge, threatening to jump off and cutting himself, according to the release. As an officer began speaking with the man, the troubled individual revealed he was hungry. A sandwich was then procured from the nearby Hotel deLuxe, and officers used it to "move the subject away from the ledge," police said.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman