Man kills self with borrowed gun at LA range
The bizarre incident was caught on tape; no foul play was suspected
By Louis Sahagun
Los Angeles Times
LOS ANGELES — A man shot himself in the head with a borrowed handgun at a Los Angeles shooting range, and coroner's investigators believe it was suicide, officials said Sunday.
Demetrio Ulloa Jr., 29, of Los Angeles fatally shot himself with a .45-caliber handgun about 6 p.m. Saturday at the Los Angeles Gun Club at 1375 E. 6th St., L.A. County Department of Coroner Lt. Larry Dietz said.
Ulloa was pronounced dead at the scene, Dietz said.
"He entered the gun club alone and without a gun of his own," Los Angeles Police Department Cmdr. Andrew Smith said. "Then he hooked up with some other guys who were there.
"He was using someone else's gun and shooting at a target when he turned the handgun to his head," Smith said. "The incident was captured on videotape, and no foul play is suspected."
Copyright 2014 the Los Angeles Times
McClatchy-Tribune News Service
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman