Underwear-clad man wreaks havoc with hammer at police station
A Pa. man wearing only shoes and underpants smashed the windows on 14 patrol cars and attacked the station house door
The Philadelphia Inquirer
PHILADELPHIA — A man wearing only shoes and underpants was taken into custody without incident after going in a rampage with a hammer at Center City's 6th Police District early Wednesday, smashing windows on 14 patrol cars and the station house door, authorities said.
Police said the damage spree unfolded about 5:20 a.m. when the man, 31, drove up to the district building at 235 N. 11th St. in his 2004 Pontiac and emerged with a hammer in hand.
He then proceeded to hammer away at the glass on the station house door and the windshields and side windows of the patrol cars, police said.
The man complied when officers and told him to drop the hammer and get on the ground, police said. He was taken to Jefferson University Hospital for treatment of a cut and a mental evaluation.
Police had not yet released the man's name but said he will be charged with criminal mischief, institutional vandalism and related charges.
Copyright 2014 The Philadelphia Inquirer
McClatchy-Tribune News Service
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court