Police: NY man made deliveries after stealing bread truck
Authorities say a man stole a New York City bakery truck and began delivering loaves of bread to random businesses
NEW YORK — Authorities say a man stole a New York City bakery truck and began delivering loaves of bread to random businesses.
Police say David Bastar hopped into Grimaldi's Home of Bread truck on Manhattan's Upper East Side early Monday while the real driver was making a delivery at a pizzeria.
Wearing only his underwear, Bastar then allegedly began dropping off baguettes, whole-wheat rolls and sourdough bread. He eventually distributed the entire $8,000 worth of baked goods — but not to the bakery's customers.
Joe Grimaldi owns the Queens bakery. He tells the Journal News that businesses found bread in front of their doors.
Bastar, of Nanuet, has been taken to a hospital for evaluation. He faces charges of criminal possession of stolen goods. It wasn't immediately clear whether he had a lawyer.
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house