Deck of playing cards given to inmates could crack cold cases
About 3,000 inmates will receive decks of playing cards featuring information from 52 cold cases that authorities are hoping to get a lead on
By PoliceOne Staff
DEL VALLE, Texas — About 3,000 inmates will receive decks of playing cards featuring information from 52 cold cases that authorities are hoping to get a lead in.
According to KXAN, the cards will be distributed in 17 states and detectives are saying they’ve already had some success.
“If we’re able to solve one case with this deck of cards then it’s a complete success,” said Travis County Sgt. Rom Szimanski. “I’ll be overwhelmed.”
In the past two years, the cold case cards have cracked 15 murder cases in South Carolina. IN just three months, the cards have prompted 60 tips and helped solve four homicide cases in Florida.
About 5,000 new decks of cards will be printed in the next few weeks, costing $6,000.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court