Deck of playing cards given to inmates could crack cold cases
About 3,000 inmates will receive decks of playing cards featuring information from 52 cold cases that authorities are hoping to get a lead on
By PoliceOne Staff
DEL VALLE, Texas — About 3,000 inmates will receive decks of playing cards featuring information from 52 cold cases that authorities are hoping to get a lead in.
According to KXAN, the cards will be distributed in 17 states and detectives are saying they’ve already had some success.
“If we’re able to solve one case with this deck of cards then it’s a complete success,” said Travis County Sgt. Rom Szimanski. “I’ll be overwhelmed.”
In the past two years, the cold case cards have cracked 15 murder cases in South Carolina. IN just three months, the cards have prompted 60 tips and helped solve four homicide cases in Florida.
About 5,000 new decks of cards will be printed in the next few weeks, costing $6,000.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: Deputy shoots armed man who charged at him during traffic stop
- Va. sheriff’s office forced to remove 'blessed are the peacemakers' decals
- Judge haunted by release of man in deadly Ohio shootings
- Off-duty cop helps detain man who tried to break cockpit door mid-flight
- UK police: 19 dead, roughly 50 injured after explosion at Ariana Grande concert