Minn. burglar checks Facebook at crime scene, doesn't log out
Burglar failed to log out of Facebook after checking his profile on the homeowner's computer
SOUTH ST. PAUL, Minn. — Police didn't have to work hard to catch a man who broke into a Minnesota house.
First the burglar failed to log out of Facebook after checking his profile on the homeowner's computer. Then he agreed to meet up with homeowner James Wood in an effort to get back wet clothes he'd left behind.
Wood tells WCCO-TV the burglar has to be the "world's dumbest criminal."
South St. Paul police say the burglar took credit cards, cash and a watch last week.
Wood posted his phone number on the burglar's Facebook page, hoping someone would call.
The burglar himself texted Wood and agreed to meet with the homeowner, thinking he could negotiate for his clothes. When Wood spotted the burglar, he recognized him from Facebook and called police.
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman