Minn. burglary suspect made getaway in kayak
31-year-old man was arrested Sunday as he tried to kayak away from a restaurant with allegedly stolen items
AUSTIN, Minn. — Police used a boat to catch a burglary suspect who made his getaway in a kayak in southern Minnesota.
The 31-year-old man from Austin, Minnesota, was arrested Sunday as he tried to kayak away from a restaurant with allegedly stolen items.
Police say the restaurant was closed when an employee giving a tour interrupted a burglary.
Officers found two people in kayaks on the Cedar River and got one to talk to them. That information led police to believe the second man was involved in the burglary.
Police got a fire department boat and, with a firefighter driving, were able to catch the kayaker. Authorities recovered cleaning supplies and lighters apparently taken from the restaurant.
The Post-Bulletin reports the suspect faces burglary charges.
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- ND bill protects drivers who negligently hit protesters obstructing traffic
- Slain Fla. officer's patrol car vandalized
- Video: Calif. police fatally shoot man, face wrongful death lawsuit
- Minn. lawmakers chart new course in response to OIS protests
- Trump hosts LE at White House, pledges support for police