Police: Chicken crossing road blocks Ore. traffic
Civilian who called the police assured the dispatcher he was not joking
PORTLAND, Ore. — Portland, Oregon, police were told there was a chicken — and it was attempting to cross the road.
In fact, the citizen who called the police non-emergency line on Monday evening reported that the chicken's efforts to cross a road in a north Portland neighborhood were bringing traffic nearly to a standstill.
He assured the dispatcher he was not joking.
The dispatcher chuckled — and asked a clarifying question.
"It's just the one chicken?"
The caller said yes.
Sgt. Pete Simpson says responding officers were unable to locate the chicken.
And so, he notes, police "were unable to determine the chicken's intent."
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC officers cannot record inauguration demonstrators
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. troopers union criticizes plan to scrap lie-detector tests for recruits
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help