'Purge' hoax forces Calif. police to quash rumors
Sheriff's office has assigned a handful of deputies including a sergeant and a senior deputy to look into it
By Cris Ornelas
OILDALE, Calif. — The Purge is a movie where for 12 hours there are no laws and no emergency services. Now, an internet rumor says the 'purge' is coming to Oildale Friday and there will be no laws from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m.
“We are a little concerned because some people have a hard time differentiating between fantasy and reality," said Kern County Sheriff’s Office spokesman Ray Pruitt.
The sheriff's office has assigned a handful of deputies including a sergeant and a senior deputy to look into it.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house