'Purge' hoax forces Calif. police to quash rumors
Sheriff's office has assigned a handful of deputies including a sergeant and a senior deputy to look into it
By Cris Ornelas
OILDALE, Calif. — The Purge is a movie where for 12 hours there are no laws and no emergency services. Now, an internet rumor says the 'purge' is coming to Oildale Friday and there will be no laws from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m.
“We are a little concerned because some people have a hard time differentiating between fantasy and reality," said Kern County Sheriff’s Office spokesman Ray Pruitt.
The sheriff's office has assigned a handful of deputies including a sergeant and a senior deputy to look into it.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC officers cannot record inauguration demonstrators
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. troopers union criticizes plan to scrap lie-detector tests for recruits
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help