'Purge' hoax forces Calif. police to quash rumors
Sheriff's office has assigned a handful of deputies including a sergeant and a senior deputy to look into it
By Cris Ornelas
OILDALE, Calif. — The Purge is a movie where for 12 hours there are no laws and no emergency services. Now, an internet rumor says the 'purge' is coming to Oildale Friday and there will be no laws from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m.
“We are a little concerned because some people have a hard time differentiating between fantasy and reality," said Kern County Sheriff’s Office spokesman Ray Pruitt.
The sheriff's office has assigned a handful of deputies including a sergeant and a senior deputy to look into it.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Trooper under investigation for calling ICE to report illegal immigrant
- Police say newly freed gang member killed Calif. officer
- Bystander helps officer under attack by jumping on suspect's back
- Sheriff Joe successor pulls back on immigration holds in jails
- Ala. church asks for its own police department