'Purge' hoax forces Calif. police to quash rumors
Sheriff's office has assigned a handful of deputies including a sergeant and a senior deputy to look into it
By Cris Ornelas
OILDALE, Calif. — The Purge is a movie where for 12 hours there are no laws and no emergency services. Now, an internet rumor says the 'purge' is coming to Oildale Friday and there will be no laws from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m.
“We are a little concerned because some people have a hard time differentiating between fantasy and reality," said Kern County Sheriff’s Office spokesman Ray Pruitt.
The sheriff's office has assigned a handful of deputies including a sergeant and a senior deputy to look into it.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: Mich. cop shatters car window after driver refuses to give ID
- Man blows up hand while attempting to kill 2 Ky. deputies
- Okla. chief defends cop after TASER threat sparks controversy, video released
- Man who claimed girlfriend choked during oral sex acquitted in murder case
- Police: 'Severely battered' off-duty Del. trooper fatally shoots boyfriend