'Purge' hoax forces Calif. police to quash rumors
Sheriff's office has assigned a handful of deputies including a sergeant and a senior deputy to look into it
By Cris Ornelas
OILDALE, Calif. — The Purge is a movie where for 12 hours there are no laws and no emergency services. Now, an internet rumor says the 'purge' is coming to Oildale Friday and there will be no laws from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m.
“We are a little concerned because some people have a hard time differentiating between fantasy and reality," said Kern County Sheriff’s Office spokesman Ray Pruitt.
The sheriff's office has assigned a handful of deputies including a sergeant and a senior deputy to look into it.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Wash. sheriff told to disarm before entering arena for charity event
- More than 200 police chiefs criticize Trump’s 'law and order' executive actions
- Video: Nashville cop fatally shoots armed man, NAACP wants probe
- Video: NY trooper arrests suspect after being dragged by vehicle
- Booby trap impales officer investigating marijuana grow operation