Three killed in violent Mexican border town
The Associated Press
NUEVO LAREDO, Mexico- Masked gunmen opened fire on a home in this violent, Mexican border city, killing three men including a former police officer, prosecutors said.
De la Garza's wife, 27-year-old Mildred Mariscal, and their 5-year-old child were wounded in the shooting, prosecutor Oscar Javier Sepulveda said Sunday. Both were treated and are expected to recover.
Officials said the gunmen, wearing ski masks, opened fire on de la Garza's home, then broke down the door to find the three dead inside.
The killings raised the city's murder rate this year to 103 people killed.
Mexican President Vicente Fox sent in federal troops earlier this year, then added more in June after the city's new police chief was shot and killed just hours after taking office _ and after city police opened fire on federal agents.
Law enforcement officials say Mexico's two main drug gangs are fighting for control of Nuevo Laredo, where thousands of cargo trucks carry Mexican goods into the United States.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house